4 SIMPLE Rules I Followed When Fasting, And How I Lost 50 Pounds, and kept it off...By Kristy Sinsara
No matter where I go these days, it's the first thing out of everyone's mouth, "How on earth did you lose so much weight?"
Well, it was a combination of a few things, mostly things that had nothing to do with the food I consumed, or working out.
Here's the dealio...
BACKGROUND. So my entire life I fluctuated between a size 4 & 6. I could eat anything I wanted, when I wanted, and I never gained a pound. And then....I turned 32. And one night I ate a cheeseburger and it showed up on my ass the next day...As did the pound cake, and chicken fried steak and gravy, and chili cheese fries, and Oreos.
And in 2009 I went from weighing 125 pounds to 188 pounds....Just like THAT!
My wardrobe went from trendy and fun....to t-shirts, sweatshirts and size 14 jeans.
At first I thought it was funny. And I was naive enough to believe that it was going to be as easy to lose it as it was to gain it. I had never had to "lose weight" before, so I didn't know.
So, all of the sudden, for the first time in my life, I found myself in this situation where I needed to lose weight. AND. I. TRIED. EVERY. DIET. YOU. CAN. IMAGINE.
At one point, through straight diet and exercise, I had gotten down to 165 pounds, and then I upped my exercise game, and got down to 148 pounds. But over the years I kept fluctuating from 148 to 168, back and forth consistently.
The main issue for me was that I didn't grow up learning how to eat healthy, or having acquired the insane amount of self control it takes to choose to eat something you don't actually like, or not eat something at all. So, for someone like me, to have gone from eating Southern food to diet food was 100% totally impossible to sustain.
I either hated the way I looked, or I hated the life I was living to try and look better.
And this seemingly endless, and very frustrating cycle continued for about 7 years.
And then, a friend of mine, Dr. John Fitzgerald, who is a world-renowned weight loss doctor, told me about "fasting". And he shared with me the amazing ideas he had discovered through his years of working with thousands of weight loss patient's from all over the world.
And I followed his ideas, added some of my own, and ultimately ended up losing over 50 pounds, and have kept it off now for over 2 years. (Today I weigh 127 pounds).
So here is EVERYTHING I LEARNED ABOUT WEIGHT LOSS & FASTING and EIGHT SOLID TIPS ON HOW TO LOSE WEIGHT (and maintain it), as well as my step-by-step process of what I did, exactly!
1. DIETS ARE BULLSHIT. Let me start by telling you how much bullshit I think dieting is. Not only are dieting plans incredibly difficult to follow, they're also almost impossible to maintain. It's also insanely frustrating to hear so many people's thoughts on how you should lose weight. No protein. Only protein. No carbs. Only carbs. Only certain types of fruit. No fake sugar. Cut the coffee. Only drink coffee. Water only. Smoothies. But only certain types of smoothies. Not too many veggies. Only veggies. BLAH BLAH BLAH. It's enough to drive anyone crazy.
So don't think you're a failure if you've tried 100 different diets and none of them worked. There's 100 different types because most of them don't work. If one truly did work, everyone would be doing it, and ONLY it. Come on now!
2. EXERCISE ISN'T NECESSARY WHEN YOU'RE FIRST LOSING WEIGHT AND ONLY MAKES EVERYTHING MORE DIFFICULT. Now don't get me wrong when I say this. I think it's important that you maintain a healthy body, but exercise isn't necessary when you're first losing weight. It's been two years now since I've lost all of my weight, and I have yet to hit a gym, or have some consistent "cardio" routine.
Choosing to fast, all of the sudden, while you're also choosing to work out, all of the sudden, is a plan that's destined to fail!
Dieting AND exercising at the same time, when your body isn't used to either, will cause you to feel crazy, and probably ultimately quit!
3. IT'S NOT THE HOW, IT'S THE WHY, THAT MATTERS MOST. The most important thing you need to consider is not how you're going to lose weight but why you want to lose weight. I can tell you right now that if you're losing weight for anyone but yourself, don't bother trying. No one is going to tell you this but me (maybe) but anyone who wants you to lose weight simply so you look better for them is an asshole. And asshole's don't really motivate us to do anything, other than maybe gain more weight, so we can ultimately show them how much we don't give a shit about their "assholeness".
I once had an ex who used to badger me about my weight, all of the time. They would literally tell me that it wasn't fair that they were so attractive and I was so....fat! She would say, "Look at me, and look at you. People are going to start wondering why I am even with you." (WTF - I know) And do you know how much weight I lost in that relationship? NADA POUND!
In fact, I ended up gaining more weight because I would get so pissed off at how much bullshit it was that I was being chastised for my weight gain.
WHY do you want to lose weight? Is it because you truly feel better about yourself as a different size? If so, you've got this! If it's for your boyfriend who tells you he'd be more attracted to you if you were skinnier, trust me; tell him to f*ck off, and go order a large pizza instead. The pizza will love you more!
I didn't end up losing a single pound until after I left the relationship I was in, and then I dropped 50 pounds, FOR MYSELF, and have kept it off for the past two years.
*Here's a bonus life tip for all of you who are now in the position I was once in.
Everyone on this planet is motived one of two ways: Either by consequence or praise!
I am someone who is motivated solely by praise.
This means that if you tell me the consequence of something, "Like if you don't lose weight I'm going to leave you". Then I'm more likely to gain weight. However, if you tell me you think I'm beautiful and sexy. I'm more likely to actually WANT TO be MORE beautiful and sexy!
Knowing how you're motivated helps tremendously, not just with this issue, but in life in general!
It's also wildly important that your partners knows this about you too!
4. IT'S NOT THE SIZE THAT MATTERS.
Don't focus on a size. Focus on a feeling. Before you get up in the morning imagine yourself as the size you want to be. What does it feel like? What do you feel like? How do you feel about yourself? How is your life different? How much happier are you? What kind of stuff are you going to go do now all of the time with your new rockin body...like me, how I suddenly spent all summer long at Las Vegas hotel pools, struttin' around with my new sexy body. BOOYAH!
This is why I always tell you guys to wear your "WWMFSD" Ninja Life Bracelets. "What would my future self do" in any given moment that you're in? She would focus on feeling sexy. THAT'S WHAT!
Imagine, think upon, fantasize OFTEN about what it FEELS LIKE to look and feel how you want!
5. DO NOT WEIGH YOURSELF DAILY. It's frustrating as hell when you're starting out losing weight and then get on the scale daily! You're just setting yourself up for failure. Do you know what it feels like to be hungry, and then discover you haven't lost any weight? It feels like failure! And then it turns into, "Why bother?" A weight scale is NOT a measurement of success.
I was dropping jean sizes before I dropped weight sizes.
I weighed myself like once every 2/3 weeks, at the most (purely out of curiosity). Have you ever heard that quote, "Ever notice how some things don't seem to change daily, but then you look back and realize everything has changed?" That's your new quote! Focus on the future, end result. Not the daily!
Now, I weigh myself (maybe) once a month. I just did, literally just now, because I was curious and hadn't weighed myself in over 2 months.
6. FAST. FASTER. FASTING. FASTING WORKS BECAUSE IT DOESN'T SHOCK YOUR SYSTEM LIKE DIETING AND EXERCISE DOES! Fasting also works best for people who aren't used to eating healthy and working out consistently. Why? Because you can still eat what you want, you don't have to give yourself a heart attack on the treadmill, and you're not constantly feeling hungry after you've just eaten three ounces of bird seed, and a side of kale. BLAH. But most importantly, it works because it's not a huge shocker to your system!
THIS IS WHY IT IS MAINTAINABLE, because (if you do it like I did it) it is a gradual climb to success. Not a "Let's see if you can jump from one tall building to the next-with no training or understanding" (like Neo in the Matrix). We know that he could have technically made it, but truthfully, he wasn't there yet in his mind. This is you! And this is why fasting works best!
7. NO ONE PROMOTES FASTING BECAUSE YOU CAN'T MAKE MONEY OFF OF IT. Surely you're intelligent enough to understand that we live in a consumerist society, and everything is about money, money, profit! Do you know how many people have told me that I should consider figuring out a way to profit off of my own weight loss, and figure out a way to use my online status to "sell something". It's beyond maddening how many people feel the need to sale EVERYTHING!
What could anyone possibly sell you for fasting? A box of nothing? Because that's what fasting is? It's replacing something with nothing. Actually, the only thing I would you buy is a book by Dr. John Fitzgerald, Fat Loss The Truth. It will cost you $15 on Amazon, and I will make $0 of the proceeds from you purchasing his book. His book explains why diets don't work, and it gives you a more scientific approach to what I'm about to tell you next.
8. HOW YOU FAST MATTERS THE MOST! Fasting means you go periods of time without eating. And much like with bullshit diets, you also can't just randomly shock your body into something entirely different...Like suddenly fasting for 24 hours, when you're not used to fasting at all, ever. Don't be an idiot!
SO HERE IS THE STEP-BY-STEP WAY I LOST 50 POUNDS...
First of all, it's important to note that fasting includes your sleep time.
PREPARE YOURSELF MENTALLY!
I KNEW I was going to start fasting from 8pm to 8am, 4 days a week. But I also knew that this was actually going to be really hard for me to do at first because I was used to putting the kids to bed around 8pm, and then sitting on my couch watching television, eating chips and dip (and snacks) for a few hours before bed.
So I first started by getting my body used to sitting on the couch and NOT eating crappy snack food. But I also didn't "cold turkey" try and change the fact that I wanted to "snack" when I would watch TV. So I would start by eating water based foods, like certain fruits, cooked cabbage, etc. This way my minds way of getting the fixation of eating, but my body wasn't getting the calories before bed.
I did this for a couple of weeks before I really started fasting because I knew without a doubt it was going to be my Achilles Heel during this whole process. Two weeks into it, I started officially fasting.
I PREPARED MYSELF MENTALLY FOR WHAT I WAS ABOUT TO DO.
And, for the record, 2 years later, it never even dawns on me to "eat" while I'm watching a movie on my couch now. I completely retrained my mind...
STICK TO A SCHEDULE THAT WORKS FOR YOU!
Week 1-3: I fasted from 8pm to 8am, ONLY.
Week 3-6: I fasted from 7pm to 10am, ONLY.
Week 7-8: I fasted from 6pm to 12pm, ONLY.
And during the time that I was not fasting, I was eating anything I freaking wanted! Literally, freaking, anything! Do you know why? Because I knew that mentally if my mind wasn't getting what it thought it wanted, I would fail, hard and fast.
But do you know what else happened naturally to my body when I started fasting?
It started to shrink. And then do you know what else happened?
My body started to naturally crave, (TOTALLY ON IT'S OWN), healthier food.
I went from craving shitty snack foods (I love salt, not chocolate), to craving fruits and vegetables. I found myself craving apples, and vegetables and lean meats.
*And yes, while I was fasting I drank a ton of water, and I still had my morning coffee at the time (although I don't drink coffee anymore).
THAT WHICH GETS MEASURED GETS IMPROVED
Obviously I'm not talking about measuring your weight on a scale. But this was the point where I started measuring/counting calories.
I started with 2000 calories a day. By the time I had gotten to this goal, I had actually already surpassed it. But I started here anyway because little battle wins mean you eventually win the war! I would encourage anyone following this plan to start with a high calorie count you know you can BEAT, and then lower it every 2 weeks.
For me, it was this:
2000 calories of anything you want.
And then 1800 calories of anything you want.
And then 1500 calories of anything you want.
And then 1200 calories of anything you want.
And I'm going to keep saying ANYTHING YOU WANT because it will help you mentally to wrap your head around this BUT just know that by the time you get here.."anything you want" at this point has turned into much healthier food choices! If you can't take it and you want a cheeseburger, for the love of God, eat a freaking cheeseburger!
If you truly follow this plan, trust me, you'll be wanting cheeseburgers less and less.
CONTINUE FASTING INTERMITTENTLY BUT NOT CONSISTENTLY
How often do I still fast? Whenever I feel like it. It usually happens naturally at this point, like I'm super busy one day working all day and realize I haven't eaten yet and it's like 4pm...and then I think, "Oh I should grab some dinner." And believe me, that dinner is amazeballs delicious.
Everyone asks if I still fast. You don't need to ask me this question. Wait until you get here, and then let your own body dictate how often you continue to fast. I'd say I still do 4(ish) days a week(ish).
INCORPORATE SOMETHING ACTIVE THAT'S FUN
Nope. Still don't!
But you know what I do do?
Play racquetball, play basketball with the kids, go for walks, hike, etc.
I NEVER do anything "gym" oriented, or "cardio" oriented because I hate both!
But it's important that I'm active and keep my body, mind and soul in alignment!
The bottom line is this:
Fasting works because it's the only thing you can really do to lose weight that allows your body to adjust naturally to something different than it's used to. It works because you don't have to mind f*ck yourself into thinking you like kale. And it works because you don't have to pretend like you love going to the gym, after you've just starved yourself to death.
It's a natural process that allows your body, and more importantly, YOUR MIND to naturally adjust to changes.
If you have any questions about this article post them here, and I'll periodically check back in with you guys.
Be sure and follow me on Facebook, www.facebook.com/Ksinsara
And don't forget to SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON FACEBOOK IF YOU LOVE IT!
And if any of you have questions about this diet, post them here. Dr. Fitzgerald will gladly answer each and every one of them!